Classics & Hidden Gems South Coast 2022
24/10/2022 – 31/10/2022 | 6 spots | 4550 € per person
This photography workshop will take us along the South Coast of Iceland, to photograph some truly majestic landscape. We will mix classics like waterfalls, canyons and the glacier lagoon with hidden gems. Of course, we'll also hunt down some Northern Lights together. We'll stay in selected hotels, catch sunrises & sunsets and end the week with a dinner in our cabin.
The workshop will be accompanied by, well - me, but also the amazing Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove who has been living in Iceland for the same amount of time as me. He is an expert in all things wildlife, glaciers and volcanoes. He even published an outstanding book on the recent eruption in Geldingadalur.
The workshop starts and ends in Reykjavík.
Dates 24/10/2022 – 31/10/2022
Price €4450 per person
Group Size max. 6 participants (5 spots left)
Photo Experience any level
Please note the itinerary is indicative and might change based on weather conditions.
Day 1 – 24/10 – Airport Pickup / Arrival in Reykjavík
We pick up the group at Keflavík airport (due to everyone arriving on different flights we might have to spend some waiting time at a coffee spot) and then drive to our hotel in Reykjavík. (Heading out for dinner together is not mandatory, but fun.)
Day 2 – 25/10 – Reykjanes Peninsula
After breakfast, we head out to explore Reykjanes peninsula, my former home base. So many beautiful nooks and corners are waiting to be captured and Jeroen will happily share his immense knowledge about the eruption that took place there last year. We will make sure to check out the still steaming lava fields. Then we head back to the hotel and after dinner, if the skies allow it, we might go on our first Aurora hunt.
Day 3 – 26/10 – Reykjavík - Vík
There is lots to see on the drive between the capital and the small coastal town of Vík. We will stop at places such as the iconic Skógafoss, Kvernufoss, Dyrhólaey, and the black sand beach. If we do not have time for all those locations we will still be able to go on our way back on day six. Since we do not want to rush and rather explore angles and light, we might spend extra time at each location. In the evening, we check into a hotel in Vík.
Day 4 – 27/10 – Vík - JökulsárlónBetween Vík and the breathtaking glacier lagoon lie lots of gems such as Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon and the Skaftafell national park. We will spend the night in a place close to the lagoon and who knows, if we are lucky, we even get the Northern Lights over Jökulsárlón. (Aren't we doing a great job at managing expectations, so far? ;D)
Day 5 – 28/10 – Jökulsárlón
The area aound Jökulsárlón is incredibly unique so it deserves an entire day just to explore. There are different lagoons, the famous diamond beach and seals - loads to capture and discover. Also, it gives us yet another night to try our luck for lights over the ice. (And sunrise! And sunset!) We end the day with an absolute highlight: visiting an ice cave! Afterwars we head back to the hotel.
Day 6 – 29/10 – Jökulsárlón - Hvolsvöllur
We drive back in direction of Reykjavík. We will stop at all the places we did not manage before or want to revisit. I don't want to give out too many details, it would only spoil the fun. We stay in a hotel in Hvolsvöllur.
Day 7 – 30/10 – Þórsmörk - Reykjavík
Superjeeps will take us through rivers and sand all the way into the "Valley of Thor" where we will explore a waterfall in a cave and hopefully hike breathtaking Valahnúkur and get to capture the most amazing views. Afterwards, we venture on to Selfoss and a liiiittle further, straight into the woods, to have a goodbye dinner in our cabin. From there, you will be taken back to a hotel in Reykjavík, to get a good night's sleep before your departure.
Day 8 – 31/10 – Departure from Iceland
You will be picked up at the hotel in the early morning hours to be taken to the airport. (Or you venture on on your own, depending on what your plans are)
- pick-up and drop-off at Keflavík airport for all flights coming from Europe
- overnight stays in single rooms in various hotels (Icelandair, Fosshotel or similar)
- breakfast on days 2-8 (takeaway breakfast due to early departure on the last day)
- transportation, gas of course included
- an ice cave adventure close to Jökulsárlón
- a Superjeep tour into Þórsmörk
- a goodbye dinner or BBQ at our cabin in the woods
- Jeroen and me as your photography guides and driver
What’s Not Included?
- your flights
- lunch & dinner
- travel insurance
- any other services and goods not mentioned
What Kind of Photography Gear Do I Need?
On this trip you can make use of the following type of gear:
- A telephoto lens (I would recommend a 70-200mm or more)
- A wide-angle lens for landscapes
- A drone since Iceland is especially spectacular from the air (not a must)
- A tripod which can make photographing landscapes easier (a must, if you want to photograph Northern Lights)
GOOD TO KNOW
- This workshop will be held in German and English, while English is mandatory. All papers and info will be handed to you in English. Plus, Jeroen does not speak German!
- Please note that you can pay the entire amount upfront when confirming the booking with our travel agency or in instalments of 20% upfront and 80% eight weeks prior to the workshop.
- Traveling in Iceland during winter means being flexible, the weather can always force us to change our plans. Also, there are no guarantuees that we will get to see Northern Lights.
- We highly recommend for you to get travel insurance!!!
24/10/2022 – 31/10/2022 | 6 spots | 4550 Euro per person